1. Giving you a clear definition of what data science is and how it is different from other careers related to data
You need to have a clear understanding of what to learn for the specific goal you have. Unfortunately, there is a crazy amount of misinformation on the internet about what it takes to be a data scientist. Many people who are just starting out, confuse it with a data analyst or even a data engineering position. It is important to understand how the area is structured and be able to differentiate disciplines before you start immersing yourself in courses.
2. Guiding you on the relevant skills
There is a big confusion on what you need to learn and how much to “call yourself” a data scientist. Data science is an over-arching term and it is hard to make a comprehensive list of skills focus on. You can find people claiming you need to know everything there is to know about linear algebra before you can even think about being a data scientist. I don’t agree with this line of thinking. I think you can become a data scientist if you can focus on the relevant skills and only the relevant skills for your specific goal and your background.
3. Sharing insights on the profession of data science from the industry
Many times, aspiring data scientists are not aware of what kind of projects are done in the industry or even what kind of deliverables are expected of a data scientist. If this is you, you should not worry and know that it is a common struggle. I will share with you example projects from different industries and types of working (freelance, consultancy, in-house data science). This will help you understand what will be expected of you once you get a job and thus, will help you communicate with a prospective employer more clearly. Knowing common struggles of day-to-day data science applications, on top of your technical training, will set you apart from the competition.
How am I going to do these?
I will periodically publish free resources you can use including but not limited to:
- A podcast that features data scientist and professionals from other data related jobs to give you insights about a career in data
- Articles on a data science career, relevant skills and efficient ways to approach the journey of learning data science
- Blog posts answering questions from you about learning data science
- Reviews of the latest courses and in-demand skills on job postings
- Videos explaining key concepts and breaking down the data science way of thinking
- Online courses for you to understand the field better and get hands-on experience
Subscribe for my email list and let's keep in touch. By subscribing, you get free access to my Data Science Kick-starter course that I prepared to help you lay the ground work for learning data science. Learn more about the course here.